Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Top 5 Keepers!

I not sure if it's just me, but this time of year I tend to get a bad case of the "Shoulda, Woulda, Couldas"? You know when you think about all the things you should've would've and could've done. Well, I've decided that the best antedote is to think about all the wonderful things we did and I will keep for next year. Sooo I've compiled by top 5 favorites and here they are:

1) Owl pellet dissection
I know it seems gross, but the kids love it! They are always so skeptical and afraid to touch it, but once they find their first bone you can't stop them from digging in!
I wish I could show pictures of their facial expressions. They're priceless!


2) Daily 5
It was our first time implementing Daily 5 in English and French class! Why didn't I do this sooner?!?

3) "Les pinces"
After Christmas I started using "les pinces" as a motivational system for students to speak French and boy does it work! It works like one of those baby shower games where you wear clothes pins and if you say one of the "buzz" words (usually baby, bottle, boy etc... at showers that is) then the person who heard you can take your clothes pin. Our "buzz" words are English words ( I do 3 English consecutively as not to stop all communication.) At the end of each double period students get to cash in their "pinces" for classroom money! I also make my "pince" worth a lots of class money so always listen closely hoping to get my "pince". It's also a great way to keep me accountable to only speak French. :)

4) At home reading program
Just after March break we launched a French at home reading program, which has been very well received by the parents!

5) Kidblog
My students have made French kidblogs this year for  and they are really enjoying themselves. They are so motivated that they even make posts at home! It's an awesome blog platform that is students friendly and safe definitely worth checking out!

I feel much better now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment